Training a puppy is a job of patience, consistency and firmness. If not trained in a proper way, even the cute little puppy can become disruptive. Training a puppy takes long time and if you think of getting two pups at a time, it doubles your work. You must be thinking that adopting two puppies at a time will double the pleasure and they will be company to each other. But it is, on contrary, a difficult job.
Like humans, puppies are individuals and they need to be treated and trained individually. If you are planning to adopt two puppies, here are some keys to train your puppies:
- Puppies are immature and cope with each other easily. Choose a pair which will get along in a healthy relationship as mature dogs. Getting puppies of similar sex is not at all a good idea. No matter how much you make them love each other, they almost won’t get along with love. Instead puppies of different sex can be a best choice. Nature will take its course later and they will live safe and happy. Take proper care of this fundamental point while adopting the puppies.
- Once you adopt them and start their training, try putting them in two different crates. Putting them in single crate will create problems like fighting and dependence on each other. On the other hand, they need to bond with humans. This will be difficult for them if they stay with each other’s company. Moreover, they should learn to live alone.
- Puppies need individual outing with humans to bond with them. Hence you need to take each one of them separately. This will help the pup to develop individual identity and ability to stay without the other one.
- Instead of training them together, train them individually. This can be done when you take them for outings. If they are trained together, they will adopt each other’s bad habit easily.
- While training your puppy individually, make sure that you praise him when he responds positively to your command. On the other hand discipline him if he doesn’t. Doing this consistently will help your puppy recognize the difference between right and wrong. This will ultimately help them develop good habits.
Even though being a tough job to train two puppies, it can be fun if they grow up with good habits. You will be proud to have well trained dogs of same age.